Cliff has successfully led government, nonprofit and business organizations, as an operating leader and as a board member. He brings teams together to accomplish strategic objectives, using data for decision making and to assess progress. His strong leadership, operations, marketing, public affairs and analytical skills drive performance and results.
Biomedical and Business Experience
Cliff has led teams for nearly 25 years, marked by significant accomplishments, including
- Turned around organizations, in regulatory compliance, supply chain, expense reductions and revenue growth;
- Revamped organizational structures and cultures;
- Transformed channels from offline to online, quadrupling digital results and propagating omni-channel marketing;
- Rebranded and developed new product lines; and
- Devised, executed and served as spokesperson for national marketing/media campaigns to drive awareness and performance, including initiatives with Facebook and HBO.
At Vitalant, a national blood services and transfusion company, as chief of marketing, Cliff led the development of the convalescent plasma program to help COVID patients – becoming the top producer among independent blood centers – while instituting the organization’s direct marketing operation. As a national senior vice president of the American Red Cross, Cliff drove $1.6 billion in annual revenues, while significantly improving overall financial results, increasing revenues and reducing costs by $200 million over four years. As the Director and then the CEO, he helped lead the Red Cross Southern California blood bank to become the largest in the Red Cross system, while improving productivity.
Previously, Cliff served as founder of CustomerIntellect, a market research firm and as managing director at O’Melveny Consulting, a subsidiary of the law firm of O’Melveny & Myers. Prior to this, Cliff provided consulting services to technology companies as CEO of the San Diego Regional Technology Alliance, where he tripled revenues, established the entrepreneurial training program, and oversaw seed investments. Cliff also served as the first COO of larta.
Government and Economic Development Experience
As a Governing Board Member of El Camino College, Cliff served as president of the board of El Camino College. As a City Councilman, he served on a variety of council committees and he chaired the first strategic planning committee. Representing Torrance, Cliff advocated for local government. He was chair of the League of California Cities Administrative Services Policy Committee and on the board of the LA County Division. He was active in the South Bay Council of Governments. And he was appointed to the California Council on Criminal Justice.
Cliff was selected to participate in a number of government and community leadership programs, including the League of California Cities’ Civic Leadership Institute, Leadership Torrance, Leadership LA, and the CORO-run program, Leadership Southern California.
A former reporter with articles published in the New York Times and the Arizona Republic, Cliff has experience in public, legal and community affairs, working at the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation, U.S. Federal Trade Commission, the California State Public Utilities Commission, the California Institute for Federal Policy Research, the South Coast Air Quality Management District, and as a Senate Fellow for the California State Senate’s Energy Committee.
Track Record in Elected Office
- Torrance 2.0: Advanced digital outreach at City and El Camino College; initiated City’s Open Mic night for public outreach.
- Cost-Effective Government: Helped lead City out of Great Recession; initiated cost-savings to avoid post-COVID structural deficit at El Camino.
- Enhanced Quality of Life: Fought for airport’s noise monitoring system; advocate for Hillside Overlay Ordinance.
- Improved Public Safety: Voted to expand paramedic service and CSI team; preserved public safety positions.
- Shielded Seniors: Initiated “Seniors: Don’t Be Scammed” seminar.
- Advanced Education: Approved dual enrollment so Torrance students can earn El Camino College credit.
- Preserved Neighborhoods: Scrutinized planning; promoted historic preservation.
- Business Advocate: Initiated South Bay Entrepreneurial Center to help start up firms.
- Protected the Environment: Named LA League of Conservation Voters Environmental Champion for reducing wastage, saving $300,000 per year.
Nonprofit and Community Experience
Cliff has helped a variety of community organizations, serving in a leadership capacity to guide, advise and advance the organization and the community:
- CMTC, board member, a Torrance area nonprofit consulting organization to help manufacturers
- Cub Scout Pack 718, former Den Leader
- Temple Menorah, former President
- Go for Broke National Education Center, former board member
- El Camino College Foundation, former board member
- Young Presidents Organization Los Angeles, former board member
- California State University Dominguez Hills Business School, former advisory committee member
- Torrance Historical Society, former Vice President
- Torrance Symphony Association, former Vice President
- Madrona Marsh Foundation, former Secretary
- Sharefest, former advisory board member
- JVS, former board member
- Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce, former Director, Leadership Torrance
- Cable Television Advisory Board, former Commissioner, City of Torrance
- Community Services Commission, former Commissioner, City of Torrance
- Parks and Recreation Commission, former Commissioner, City of Torrance