Approximately 17% of Torrance residents are over 65. To help these residents, I would work with the City team to:
- Become an AARP Age Friendly Community, developing an action plan to "make neighborhoods walkable, feature transportation options, enable access to key services, provide opportunities to participate in community activities, and support housing that’s affordable and adaptable,” consistent with the actions of the Commission on Aging.
- Leverage volunteers, community organizations and technology to improve outreach, particularly to shut in seniors.
Experience/Qualifications to Lead the Plan
- On the Council, initiated “Seniors, Don’t Be Scammed” to educate on fraud and financial abuse.
- Kept bus fares at 25 cents for seniors; supported the “dial a ride” program to help seniors and disabled residents.
- At the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, investigated crimes against seniors as a law school intern.